Problem Solving and Conflict Resolution
Groups in conflict often focus on what divides them: their habitual ways of thinking, feeling, and communicating that keeps them fragmented. I help such groups reach creative solutions building awareness, collaboration, and consensus.
- Do you find yourself spending too much time "putting off" the flames of conflict?
- Does your group needs to work together but have conflicting interests and don't trust each other?
- Does your group deals with differences in a superficial way only to brake down at the most crucial times?
- Does your group spends more time discussing problems than finding solutions?
Do you know that the typical leader spends 25-40 percent of their time dealing with workplace conflicts? Yet, Stanford University Business School found that nearly 43 percent of senior decision makers ranked handling conflict as the highest area in which they need the most personal development.
By enlisting groups in transformative conversations I help them:
- move from politeness or breakdown to mutual inquiry, understanding, and creativity.
- distinguish between the unintended causes of conflict that can dissipate with greater awareness, and the significant impasses whose solutions require a different way of thinking and acting for reaching break through.
- find practical and creative solutions that lead to greater collaboration.
By promoting dialogue between conflicting parties, rather than merely destructive debate, I enable them to:
- understand more fully the beliefs, meanings, values, and fears held not only by the opponents, but also by themselves.
- speak as individuals, not as representatives of groups or positions.
- speak directly to one another instead of speaking about others.
I create a safe environment for such personal discussions, and promote respectful exchanges. People are encouraged to question the dominant public discourse, to express fundamental needs, and to explore various options for lasting problem definition and resolution.
To know more about how to work with me, call (302)399-3915 or contact me today.